Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: a little somber

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

a little somber

I’m pretty busy this week, but this is worth taking the time to write.

Today was hard. I watched Oprah because I heard invisible children were going to be highlighted, which they were. Most of the hour was about different atrocities in Africa. These things are difficult to watch, but it is good that they are publicized.

Then when Lindsay came home in tears. One of her male students from last year has a lemon-sized tumor on his brain stem that is inoperable. They say Christopher, has six months to a year. They are going to begin chemo. and radiation to try and extend his life. I was talking to my friend Robert about it and he simply commented, “I don’t understand.” That summarizes how I feel. I will spend as long as I know Christopher praying for him; specifically that he will be healed.

There is of course, the possibility that he won’t be healed, and I again will have to ponder the excruciating question of theodicy in a personal way anew.

I’ve never understood how someone could take comfort in the comment that "there is comfort in knowing that God is in control.” I find no comfort in that statement whatsoever and I suppose if it is true, then it is also true that God predestined me to not have any comfort in that statement.

I think the most powerful statement about theodicy comes from John 11:35. “Jesus wept.” I was thinking about this last night before I got the news. What’s puzzling is that Jesus says in verse 23 that “your brother will rise again.” I can only assume that Jesus had planned as far back as that moment to raise Lazarus. Yet with this knowledge and in his humanity Jesus weeps with those around Him.

Jesus Christ weeps with us and for us. That’s the only thing that makes sense to me.

2 comments:

greenISgood said...

Perhaps our "Do Something" team can do something for Christopher. I don't know what but I'm sure we all could come up with "something" to do that would bring comfort and maybe a smile to Christopher and his family at this time?

Any suggestions?

greenISgood said...

Carn-Dog:
One more thing:
Many times the very bestest thing one can do for another in difficult times is simply to sit alongside them and share in there pain. Thanks for sitting with me in mine- matchpoint!