Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: Earth Day

Monday, April 24, 2006

Earth Day

Earth day was this last Saturday and I enjoyed it immensely. I started out by meeting 8 of my fav. UBC folks over at Cameron Park to do some planting at Miss Nellys. That went well. Afterwards a couple of us went to Rudy's for some BBQ and then to Harris's to swim.

Harris and I rode our bikes to church and committed to personally not driving our cars all day. It worked. And because of it I got to enjoy a 10-mile bike ride to my friends, the Dugan's house. I decided that I don't need my car as much as I thought and that is probably good considering gas prices as of late. I'm excited about our new houses location for the same reason. I will be able to bike to Truett and UBC, which are 2 of the 3 places I go. I suppose I could bike to Dugans all the time as well, but that might be a bit more daunting.

I think if I ever do any kind of worthwhile scholarship, it might be in the area of ecology. I think it is an under sung tune especially in Evangelical circles.

There are many problems that we face as consumers, but I want to comment on a few.

Use a filter and a nalgine. Nalgine bottles are culturally cool and you can save money. Plastic is horrible. It takes a billion years for it to biodegrade. You'll seem more rugged ass if you have a nalgine.

Ride your bike. It's good for your health and it will save you money. Again more rugged ass.

Use an IKEA bag when you shop. Lindsay and I use them when we go grocery shopping. They’re cheap to buy, durable and they hold a lot. Great if you are walking from N.V. parking garage to your apartment.

Read a Wendell Berry book. He writes in the form of narrative and yet he gets you to root for the land by the end of the book.

On the larger scale, I guess the problem that concerns me is global warming. Lindsay reported that on NPR today they were talking about building a 200-mile mirror to reflect the suns rays and reduce the effects of global warming. This seems like an elaborate scheme that will cost us a ton of money, when collectively there are some practical steps to be taken before hand.

I also hate seeing any kind of body of water polluted. This is probably because both Lindsay and I grew up on beautiful lakes. Drivin' by Baylor’s little river deal makes me cringe. (Decided to edit the ending, before some smart-ass who thinks they are ordained by God starts lecturing me).

Well that is enough for now

2 comments:

Craig said...

Wow, what an intense ending. You seem to have an opinion about those girls.

I've been slowly trying to do my part. For the past year or so I drive home for lunch. Even though it's only a couple of miles I realized if I just brought my lunch I could cut the amount of gas I use a week in HALF. It's helped my finances and I am now reading more, instead of watching Food Network on Television.

Singleton said...

Can you tell me what the last paragraph said?!?! I'm all for minor blog-scandles and would like to know what was so "intense" and "rough"! With adjectives like those, I'm sure I'd love it! Loved this post. You are personally responsible for making me start thinking more ecologically. I still drive a truck. That sucks. I don't own a bike. Double suck. But I have cut back on driving TONS, and have encouraged car pooling whenever possible. Do I get some points for that?

Planting trees in Cameron Park was way rugged ass. Agreed? Jimmy was rugged ass, too. And that broken shovel was more rugged ass than anything else I know.