Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: The unsung hero

Friday, March 23, 2007

The unsung hero

I don’t really know how to understand God’s providence, but sometimes I believe God sends us the right person at the right time.

Lindsay had a fairly good labor on a number of accounts. Roy was only 6 pounds 9 ounces vs. 8+. She didn’t have to have a caesarian section. Though she was in labor for a long time, we commented throughout the day about how time seemed to be flying. The epidural worked well. I would say after she got it at about 1:00 she didn’t feel much till about 6:00.

However, at about 8:00 p.m. I noticed that she was turned away from me and fairly quite. We had a room full of visitors, and so I didn’t notice at first, but eventually I got up and went around the bed to discover a few small tears running down her face. For my male readers, I’ll inform you that an epidural helps with the contractions, but doesn’t do much to ease the pain that is associated with actually delivering the baby. At this point I found myself begin to freeze.

Some say hell is burning in fire and being in darkness. Some say it is separation from God. I would like to add that it is watching someone you love suffer and not being able to do anything about it.

You know that moment in Top Gun at the end of the movie when Ice-Man is in trouble and Maverick is sent up to help him? There is a critical moment when Maverick gets up there and with shaky confidence pulls out of the fight to contemplate if he wants to be involved. He says to himself with his ex-copilot Goose’s dog tags in hand, “talk to me Goose, talk to me.” That moment snaps Maverick out of his funk. I had that moment and my sister-in-law Lisa, was my Goose.

In my own valley of the shadow, my two-time child bearing, ex-army medic sister-in-law, came to my aide and began coaching Lindsay in her breathing and offering necessary moral support. I watched, learned, and quickly joined her. I joined Ice-Man and we won the fight.

Thank you Lissa.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a wonderful husband and will be an awesome dad. I remember sitting in market hearing about you talk about having a kid some day and I can't believe that time is already here! Congrats again Carney's I am so happy for you!!
I'm not a mom yet and having been in love yet and I've heard those feelings are pretty much the strongest ones you can have towards someone...but I've heard many people talk about seeing the people they love in pain and that's the worst feeling ever. My uncle once shared about a time in his life when He thought of God as a selfish God bc HE didn't go to the cross, but sent His son instead. He realized one day when my cousin was sick with a terrible ear infection that it would have been much easier for Him to take that pain that watch His son go through it. You'll have many more of those moments now that you are a dad! It's humbling!! You'll both be awesome parents! Hope to see you some time this summer!

David said...

CONGRATS FRIEND!!!

Erica and I have been out of the country for the past week and I just got your message. I am so excited for you both and have complete confidence that you will not mess this one up too much.

By the way, I read your blog about saving money on the changing table and doing the mental calculations and I am right there with you on that. Sometimes there is just more joy in spending less than making more.

kyle and carly said...

Hi Josh,
My name is Kyle Walters. I am a friend of Ashley Lassiter (and I went to Truett several years back). She sent me the link to your blog because my wife and I are expecting our first baby in September. I've enjoyed reading your posts on fatherhood, and am pumped about it myself! I laughed out loud at your post on buying the book, and the changing table, as I think about our purchases that way as well! Sounds like you're going to be a great dad.

Paola said...

:)
I love this post Josh.