Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: Embrace that I really rather exclude

Friday, March 02, 2007

Embrace that I really rather exclude

“God does not abandon the godless to their evil but gives the divine self for them in order to receive them into divine communion through atonement, so also should we—whoever our enemies and whoever we may be.” Miroslav Volf--Exclusion and Embrace p. 23

Can I be honest? I’ve been reading a good deal about a brand of Christianity that I did not necessarily grow up with. It is the brand found in Jurgen Moltmann, Walter Wink, John Howard Yoder, Volf and even Brian McLaren. This is a difficult brand that I don’t want to wear. It is too hard.

It is the brand that notes the miracles and sayings of Jesus, but always keeps them at bay and subservient to the more urgent theme of his faithfulness unto death. This is hard, and in my heart of hearts, I read about Volf’s system and I just want to be one of the godless. They are given grace and that would just be easier. But, by the grace of God, the self in me has not successfully extinguished the voice of the Spirit, even with all the wiles of my white Western life begging to do so, I experience God’s voice calling me to conform to the cruciform character of Christ… and I want so badly to ignore it. But this, the life that ignores the voice, as it turns out is not a life that is worth living.

1 comment:

Ryan 1 said...

I don't know if you will see this because this post is from awhile ago, but you should check out J. Denny Weaver. It sounds like God is preparing your heart to become Anabaptist, just like He is with David.