Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: A Theology of Celebration on my Birthday

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A Theology of Celebration on my Birthday

February 13th 2006 was the day I began blogging. It has been one year and a good deal has changed. Last year I started my blog as an attempt to take one step closer to being both emergent and post-modern. I sat in Uncommon Grounds with Shea sipping on mug full of Kyle’s Cowboy Coffee (the only thing my uncoffee appreciating taste palate could handle) trying to find music to become literate so that I could fit in by dropping names like Damien Rice and Sufjan Stevens.

Now on February 13th 2007, I live in a house, am a month from having my first child, and am in my last in class semester at Seminary. I have been a park ranger for 7 months and have even more great friends.

Listening to Gideon’s sermon on Sunday, one thing that caught my ear was his comment about a theology of celebration. I’m going to try and fight the system. So for my blogs first birthday I’m going to offer a personal prayer that embraces a theology of celebration--for this past year.

Oh divine mind (I actually like that opening of that prayer)
I celebrate the blessing of “fun” I find everyday in my marriage
I celebrate that baby Roy is healthy
I celebrate that you provided with me with a job that I love to go to everyday
I celebrate that I am able to go to a school I love and engage you in a meaningful way
I celebrate that my family has their health and that my dad got one positive post cancer report after another
I celebrate the community of believers that Lindsay and I get to participate in You with.
I celebrate my healthy fingers and toes that allow me to do things I love like mountain bike and play ultimate Frisbee
I celebrate that we are able to purchase our house
I celebrate that you’ve opened my eyes to all the ways I’ve been wrong this year
I celebrate the grace that you’ve given that enables me to admit that I am wrong
I celebrate the fact that we haven’t had to pour tons of money into car maintenance thus far
I celebrate your faithfulness
I celebrate that you let me be creative in the way I live
I celebrate that I can live in the comfort of knowing that my narrative is always rooted in the transfinite narrative of your story
I celebrate the joy I have in knowing you
And I celebrate the peace that underscores our life because of the cross

Amen

5 comments:

Craig said...

wonderful. your prayer itself is cause for celebration.

Shea Butta said...

wow, that was a year ago? how do you like "window in the skies"? u2 just knows how to raise the roof i tell you what! pretty sweet eh? josh josh, i'm doing a book review on gerd theissen's "the shadow of the galilean." ever read it? so far so good. the complexity of the time preceding, during, and following Jesus' life is really beginning to spark my interest. plus it helps that st. andrews divinity school is big on it. live the dream

Ashley said...

Josh I loved this...

Erik said...

Shea, you don't know me, but Josh does, and I'll offer my unsolicited feedback on Theissen's work, if you don't mind. It's a classic in the field, and quite well done. It pays attention to the historical context quite well, and while taking creative license at certain points this never seems to detract from its historical accuracy. My one caution about the book is that Theissen seems quite convinced that the best way to really understand Jesus comes through historical-sociological study, which I think is evidenced in this book as well. He crafts a story based on people's supposed respones to Christ and this seems sufficient for him to understand Christ. The shadow is what is most important for Theissen. However, I think we need to pay attention to theological and Christological description of Christ to truly understand who Christ is. But, I think its a great book, despite my caveat.

Shea Butta said...

thanks erik :) i appreciate the feedback.