Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: change can do you good

Monday, February 26, 2007

change can do you good



I come to you tonight from our newly acquired rocker. It is the rocker that Lindsay and I will spend countless hours rocking our baby boy on. I look up and I see Roy’s new shelves, his bouncer, bassinet, almost finished crib, and toys that he won’t be able to play with for at least six months. I am thankful. I’m thankful for all the people that gave selflessly to help us get to this point in so many ways.

Lindsay and I first encountered the thought that follows on the eve of Valentines Day. At some point in the evening it came to our attention that this might be our last date ever as Josh and Lindsay. Soon it will be Josh, Lindsay and Roy. It’s weird for me to not put the “and” between our names and instead a comma followed by Lindsay’s name and then the “and.” And who? And a third person. And our baby boy.

The two of us will become the three of us. Lindsay and I are spending the last moments of what has been an eight almost nine year run of just the two of us. We started dating between our sophomore and junior years of high school. We went to different schools and broke up for a little over a year. We stayed friends during that year and so I think that math goes something like this. Three and a half years of dating, one and a half years of being broken up, one year of being engaged and two almost three years of being married. We’ve made all kinds of wonderful memories. Some of them hard, some of them easy, but all of them good.

And now we are enjoying these last moments of just the two of us. And can I confess that I’m sad. Now here I must be clear. I couldn’t be more excited about baby Roy coming in a few days. He was planned and we are blessed and already cherishing and thankful for him. But this…this is a good sad. It’s like the sad I felt when I said goodbye to my house, land, and lake the week after we got married and ready to move down here. It was a crescendo moment for me. I didn’t cry saying goodbye to any of my family. I didn’t cry saying goodbye to my friends, but I did cry in the foyer of my house as I knew I was leaving for the last time. O sure I’ve been back, but it was a moment that solidified a change. A change that I had chosen and was ready to celebrate, but a change still and change is always hard. I said goodbye to more than just my house in that moment. I said goodbye to my specific orientation towards a million memories. No longer would I reach back to those moments as feeling like that was just yesterday, just a couple of years ago…no I knew that, that chapter had to be ended. That feeling hurts a little and that is how I feel tonight. I’m getting ready to say goodbye to Lindsay and me. Just Lindsay and me.

It is sometimes difficult for me to know what to do with these feelings. One of the most healing things for me at Kyle’s funeral was when Burt led us in the responsive prayer. In an incredible way, in the midst of sorrow, the prayer cultivated a deep sense of gratitude in all of us towards God for all the things that collectively beamed the brilliance of the person Kyle Lake.

And so that is how I end tonight. With a prayer in my heart that celebrates all the things that have been so perfect about these last 8-9 years and in response the chorus of a thousand memories respond to each one of these things with, “we give thanks.”

10 comments:

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

a note on the pics. Sorry I had to scan them. They were taken before the digital age. Anyhow, one of them is from our junior year of highschool and one from our senior. Can you guess which is which?

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

sorry I suppose it's a bit egocentric to post twice on your own blog before anyone can even read it. But I was just reading my own profile at random and noticed that one of the lines reads "we don't have any kids." If I forget to change that, remind me to.

thanks

Craig said...

Wow, what an honor for me to leave the first (real)comment on the greatest thing you've ever written.

You made me cry right here in Joe Bucks Coffee house, Marshall, Tx.

Anonymous said...

Great post Josh. It helped me realize change is not always a bad thing. Congratulations on being a father. Hope you and Linds are doing well.

Kolt Ulm

P.S. Who would have thought you were skinny in high school?

Erik said...

Josh, beautifully written. I've not yet had my moment of realization, but when I do I hope I am as reflective and poignant as you are here. I cannot wait to meet Roy. What are your plans for visiting the promised land this summer? Now that we'll both have kids, we need to start hanging out so they can go to UW together and dominate in football and hoops. Soren and Roy as a dynamic backfield/court is something Badger fans will look forward to for years.

Ashley said...

We want to hang out with you AND Lindsay (before the conjunction becomes punctuation, or even after, we aren't picky). And tyou made me cry to...

Robyn said...

This is beautiful, Josh. The two of you will be wonderful parents!

Candace Shaw said...

Josh Carney, you are one of the most thoughtful people I know. I kind of wondered if expecting parents feel that way and you voiced it so beautifully. I feel blessed just to be your friend.

David said...

Amen to all those thoughts. I am still struggling to process that whole change thing that is quickly approaching. Thanks for beginning that conversation in my head.

Money Minding Mama said...

Josh,
You better enjoy it, becuase those kids can really bring you down. Seriously, they can. No, only kidding. But you're right. Life sure does change. Things I miss the most from my pk (pre-kid) days. Sleeping. Leaving the house whenever I want. Going to movies without having to pay a babysitter. Having my body to myself. (The end of breastfeeding is still a long 7 months away). Not knowing the order of shows on PBS kids and who Clifford's owner is or seeing the same episode of George for the 13th time. Going to the library without a screaming baby and a 2 1/2 year old that likes to take all the books off the shelf. Going to the bathroom without being interrupted. Having the big S with my husband without having to worry about locking a door or putting kids down first. Having a flat stomach without stretch marks. Worrying about feeding myself and only myself.

What would I miss if I didn't have my kids? Everything?