Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: Looking for a fight???

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Looking for a fight???


I shouldn’t even post this, but it will probably help my ratings. I’m by no means a politician and don’t know much about the political frontier and consequently should not comment. I consider myself moderate, but I’m sure both sides could question me, determine my political platform and find much to critique. Anyhow…

It’s recently come to my attention that the Baptists have spoken out against the coal plants coming to the area and elsewhere around the state. First let me say, “wow, didn’t know you had it in you Baptists.” Secondly, let me say I agree. I’d love the money and all the other benefits, but I just don’t think we can afford it ecologically.

Here’s my problem. From my culturally cool progressive democratic rebel friends in my Baptist undergraduate experience I learned that it is/was wrong to legislate morality and that there should be separation of church and state. That is how they eluded the abortion/homosexual problem leveled against them by the college republicans. I began to believe. Though I had convictions about both of those issues I thought and still do that as an American citizen (mind you not as a participant in the Kingdom of God), they have those rights, be they the wrong or right decisions. As time went on and the ethical dilemmas of life did not cease I started to realize that almost no issue is devoid of some kind of moral conviction. Thus I don’t really think we can ever separate religion and state no matter how hard we try.

Here’s what kills me. I’m listening and it’s silent. I do not hear the cry from the left. I’ve yet to hear the screaming from the left about conflating our church and our politics. And let’s not pretend that the good leftist Biblicists haven’t used religion, even concerning their environmental convictions, to back what they believe. And now when there is apparently another marriage in our church/state relationship the left is silent. This leads me to believe that the original argument shouldn’t have been, “separation of church and state,” but rather the more honest, “were pissed because the Evangelicals don’t champion our banner issues.”

As one who considers himself fairly close to middle, I have to award the right a point. At least their honest about their motives.

Waiting for criticism
Carney

4 comments:

greenISgood said...

I think you probably not get any criticism since there are no left left in Waco, or reading your blog (except me, and I get excused cuz I'm from California - speaks for itself).

I agree with you that stopping the coal production is a good thing and admire your courage for outing yourself on this issue among such a hostile crowd. Keep keeping green, brother!

I'm not sure the KeepWacoGreen folks all are "Baptized" but who knows?

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

That's probably the point to be made in the opposite direction. Well put.

Anonymous said...

Josh, I'll leave the discussion of Church politics aside, but I think you're on the cusp of realizing that both the left and the right are full of crap. In my line of work, I think most of us are expected to be leaning toward the right. However, the more objectively I look at it, those who champion the right are no better than their counterparts on the left. This may sound pretty cynical, but I'm confident that this issue, as with most polarizing social/economic/ecological issues, will be decided in favor of the side with the most money to be spent by lobbists.

I believe wholehartedly that the Framers were divinely inspired geniuses. Tom is right on in regards to the maleability of the Constitution. The rubber hits the road where laws are ultimately tested at the US Supreme Court. The real fight is going to be in the next ten years with the possibility of two vacancies on the USSC Bench. God bless America, but it scares the hell out of me to think what an idiologically charged president and senate (on either side of the skirmish) can do.

Enough editorializing...for those of you who don't know me, I am Josh's older brother (which makes me Tom's defacto older brother...) As most of my fondest memories of them date back to when they were about 7 and 8 dressed up as Hulk Hogan and Randy "Macho Man" Savage, I'm damn proud of the men that they've both become.

Erik said...

To Josh's brother...I don't know about Tom, but one needn't go back to when Josh was 7 or 8 to talk about him dressing up as Macho Man Randy Savage. He did that frequently at Bethel. I leave it up to you to decide if I'm joking or serious.