Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: mission accomplished

Sunday, January 21, 2007

mission accomplished


It is strange how some things can make us feel. Let me share. For about two years now I’ve need two new windshield wipers for my Toyota. They simply don’t get the water of the windshield when it rains.

When we had this ice storm last week, I daily practiced my duty of warming up the cars and getting them ready for use. In the process of cleaning of my windshield I ruined the driver’s side wiper. The jaggedness of the ice pulled the rubber off of the blade. So after about two days of having no use out of the driver side wiper, I purchased a new one at Wal-Mart finding it in one of the those, “let’s make money of some recent phenomenological happenings” type endcap.

Purchasing the right wiper blade is only half the battle. After all you have page through one of the oil filter type books to find the right make and model. I’ve always found these books a bit intimidating. Not because they are actually complex, but more because anything mechanical seems way too technical and overwhelming to me.

The second half of the battle is to actually install the wiper. Naturally after purchasing the wiper I threw it on the floor of my car, having no idea of when I’d actually get around to trying to figure out how to install. Well, in the chaos of my daily schedule, I found myself about 15 minutes early to class one day, so I decided to give it a whirl. After three rounds of not looking and the direction and trying to jam the new wiper on to the old fixture I fell pray to reading the directions. Realizing that I wasn’t even close I implanted the one easy step that was instructed of me by the directions and had a new working wiper in no time.

I guess it’s probably because I haven’t had a wiper that has worked correctly for some time now, but let me tell you how much I love my new wiper. Rain or shine, I always start my drives by giving my windshield a squirt simply to watch my wiper do an impeccable job of cleaning my already clean windshield. And when I do I swell with pride. I have such a sense of accomplishment. In fact I think I would go as far as to say I enjoy this routine moment more than I did watching the Bears/Saints game today. More than I enjoy my mediocre turkey sandwich for lunch. More than enjoy the current Clark Pinnock book I’m reading on Biblical Revelation.

I think we often complain about life’s small hurdles, but I think God throws them in there for a reason. Good Lord, I almost sound like John Piper. I’m bad!:)

4 comments:

Erik said...

You do sound like Piper. Not even this Reformed bloke would make a comment along the lines you just did. Oh, and yes, after spending the countless hours with KB that I have this semester I consider myself Reformed, but along Barthian lines, which is much more amenable to my theological up-bringing than one might suppose. Of course, I've had to let go of Open Theism, but there are worse things I could do, it seems to me.

Oh, and on wipers, I still haven't put new ones on my vehicle because I didn't want to take the time to read directions. My dad laughed at me...not for not taking the time to read directions, but because I had to look at them for windshield wipers! He thought that was a little pathetic. I'll tell him I'm in good company.

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

Erik,
I knew this was coming. I was thinking about my last comment in the car today--ready to retract it or at least qualify it, and I had a good idea that the one person to call me on it would be you.

I do think God created us with the characteristic of "versatility" and consequently that something like suffering or hardships, both which over do my windshield problem as a descriptor, are mysteriously woven into our lives as goodness...a testimony to God's greatness.

God actively throwing in these hardships is a bit overdone especially if I still consider myself and open theist.

I kind of assumed you had gone Barthian some time ago. I haven't read enough of him to commit either way, but anticipate fro the few conversations that we've had that there are still a few barriers that I couldn't overcome. Namely--God actively rendered the fall certain and consequently sin certain.

I'm praying for you as you cross the finish line of this semester, and your wife and child.

Erik said...

Josh,

I hate how things come across in print. The comment about Piper and you was said in complete jest, with a big smile on my face.

Your reservations about Barth are the ones that still remain for me. But the Christological consequences of perceiving things the other way, as well as the problem of knowledge of God arising from something like Jesus as only accidentally necessary for the world, are a bit more of a hindrance for me at this point. I'd love for you to convince me otherwise. :)

Also, check out the discussion board when you get a chance.

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

don't worry, I heard the initial humor. It is same leafer who expressed the ungodly profanity at Navy pier.

And as for Barth. I have to admit, your rewording of the same notion makes for a conviction of the necessary conclusions that I must hold as a consequence of my system. Seems like the different side of the same unfortunate coin. I'll have to think on this.

as always thoughtful response.