Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: Ontology and Epistemology

Friday, February 24, 2006

Ontology and Epistemology

For some time I’ve been thinking about the relationship between epistemology and ontology. The words are fluid. I see them applied different ways all the time. I suppose this is a gross oversimplification, but I think the phrase “walk the talk” speaks to the nature of the relationship. Talk of course here being the metaphor knowledge and perception and ontology alluding to the “guts” of an experience.

I usually favor ontology. Contrary to the Germans, I don’t think knowing and being coincide. I think being always precedes knowing. I’ll leave aside the a priori and a posteriori discussion for now though. I think most of us inherently favor ontology. Who doesn’t trust their experience? I think questions of evangelism highlight the importance of this discussion. Rather than give people propositions, we are now encouraged to live a life style that creates question asking. Then we if they care enough to know, we are supposed to give them the answers. In other words, in the po-mo world, you’ve got to earn the right to speak into people’s lives.

On the other hand I’m reminded of how powerful epistemology can be. I remember a conversation I had my junior year of college that highlighted this. I was on a committee that put together a leadership weekend retreat for all campus leaders. As part of the retreat’s activity schedule, students participated in something called--the race.

This is the truncated version. Everyone starts on the starting line. Then the person conducting the race reads a list of about 50-75 statements. Statements like, “If you’re parents went to college take one step forward,” “If you’ve a white male take one step forward,” etc. After all the questions have been asked the race begins, which is a sprint to several people standing at the finish line holding prizes like $5 and candy bars. The point of the exercise was to demonstrate inequality.

After the exercise was over we had small group discussions. We had two fairly underprivileged females in our group. As the discussion progressed, the tension heightened until finally it was asked of them in so many words, “what do you want from us [privileged folk]?”

Here’s what was amazing. They didn’t want our money or our support or for their load to be lifted. What they wanted is for us to realize how difficult their journey had been. They wanted from us a deep sense of understanding. They wanted us to know their story.

I suppose that if we were ever going to understand their story, ontology would be needed. We would have to go experience what they went through, but that wasn’t possible. Thus, at times we have to utilize epistemology as best as possible.

If you think about it the gospel works both ways. Lived experience and then belief. After you believe, you need to keep believing so that you can live the experience. At some points it all about epistemology for Paul. Romans 12:2, transform your mind. Well…I guess I didn’t really set out to solve this riddle, only to highlight where I’m at in the thought process. Sorry for an inconclusive post.

6 comments:

greenISgood said...

...."possible" or probable?

harris said...

i think ontology has become important, as you said, for evangelism. i hate cliches, but people belong before they believe--at least at ubc.

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

Robert,

took me a minute to figure out what "possible" you were reffering to....point taken.

Harris,

Amen, by the way I've been looking at my referel deal on my site meter and it turns out I owe a lot of my traffic to you. Thanks

soundofmethinkingtooloud said...

Carney--I think you are right on with your thoughts about people wanting others to know their story. If we give people the respect they deserve and listen to their stories then it seems that they are in turn obliged to listen to our story. Then we have open dialog and relationships/community can be formed.

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

Be sure to check out Shea's last blog. It is pure "A" game material.

harris said...

amen to the shout to shea. carney, love the new names on the links. they make me chuckle.