Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: Edward's Trinity

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Edward's Trinity

This weekend Lindsay and I went to the dollar theatre to see, “Walk the Line.” Because the seasons and interests of my life change as quickly as channels do when I have the remote, I’ve recently decided that I heard wrong. I’m supposed to be a rock star. So naturally, I’ve decided that even though every one who has ever known me has told me I can’t sing to save my life, I’m really awesome at it and that they are a poor judge of musical taste.

To prove everyone wrong I decided to run a self-diagnostic test. I got out the video camera, loaded my i-pod with Johnny Cash songs, hit play and sang along. Well…needless to say, humility set in fast. It turns out everyone was right. My singing career has officially ended. Then I decided to try my hand at public speaking since I already had the video camera. I pulled the best speech I know of the wall right above my computer. I began, “Live and live well.” It turns out public speaking isn’t much easier.

This got me thinking about how I perceive myself juxtaposed to who I actually am. Jonathon Edwards offers an interesting model for understanding the trinity. He proposes we understand the trinity as self (Father), self-image (son), and the relationship between the two (spirit). Think about that. This is the one guy in the universe that could actually make Himself exactly the way he wanted. I don’t know a lot about the historical Jesus. I suppose he could have been an amazing athlete, strapping looks, maybe even a David Hasselhoff build. Yet it seems God’s primary interest lay elsewhere. The one thing I know is that His perfect image of Himself was on a cross dying to redeem his skanky bride. That’s crazy. That’s scandalous.

Maybe it’s o.k. that I’ll never be Johnny Cash.

4 comments:

greenISgood said...

Let me correct you on something, Carney. C'mon, will you hear me out on this first? And don't just immediately brush it aside in your typical midwest-modesty-brush-off-sort-of-way. Are u listening to me? No you're not...HEY!, now listen, dammit...

...YOU are the Johnny Cash of theologians. Embrace it, live it, love it. You f-n rock, JTrain.

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

Well.... I'll graciously and humbly accept the compliment. thank you

Anonymous said...

You need to either write a book or read me a bedtime story... this is good.

Anonymous said...

hey Carn-Dog!
I found your blog first!
tell sunflowers or whoever I said hi:)
nice post-interesting stuff
we are a skanky bride- it's true
how do you think the "talk"
went tonight?
you can catch me @ www.xanga.com/imapepper2