Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: convocation

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

convocation

Sunday evening I made my way over to the Ferrell Center to take in the freshmen convocation service. The real reason I went though was to hear Burt Burleson. This was my first experience hearing him outside of Kyle’s funeral, I’m going to try and make a point to hear him speak whenever he is outside of Dayspring on Sunday mornings.

He is like skating on butter. The mere sound of his very pastoral voice is like aloe applied to burned skin, soothing. I even think his voice might be my favorite southern one. I used to tell people that the reason Greg Boyd was the best preacher I’d ever heard was because he could somehow reach down into the deep places of your soul, pull out what was troubling you and hang it in front of your face so that you had to deal with it. He did this in a very passionate and often loud way. Burt did the same thing with a soft and poetic voice.

I guess they call his style narrative, and his youth pastor and my friend Chris advises me, Burt simply preaches a narrative as if he were going down a river and at critical points turns the direction with a slight bend in flow.

It was graceful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I for one have never really understood the analogy of skating on butter. I always had this sickening feeling that I would sink in, resulting in the unfortunate face first pitch pole into, well...butter. So does this cat have any podcasts anywhere?

-Tom

Anonymous said...

Ok, Ok, so butter is smooth but beyond that?

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

that's a negative, just his manuscripts