Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: Shane part 2 (children)

Monday, May 21, 2007

Shane part 2 (children)

There is a lot I could say about Claiborne and probably more important things, but let me post this.

I tend to be the instigator in my family. Not because I’m wildly revolutionary or even smarter than anyone in my family, but perhaps, from time to time a bit more curious about why we ended up believing what we believe, which most of the time I’m complete agreement with.

During my last couple of visits home, I have tried to be this person in the political conversation. My family is almost entirely republican. So at the apex of one of our last discussion my dad, who tends to tease like I do half jokingly asked me, “Do you think Jesus would vote democrat or republican?”

I wanted to say democratic, but I didn’t and still don’t really know enough about politics to defend myself. I only know what we hear in the broad scope of things. I don’t actually look at voting records and political platforms.* So trying to think about how Jesus would overcome the abortion issue and cast a vote for the donkeys I realized I didn’t have a response.

I was pretty sure that Jesus would be disenchanted with the American political system and not be excited about voting at all, but I didn’t try and make that case. I just dropped it.

Here is one story Claiborne shares that hit me square in the face. He talks about a rally/convention…something that they had in the Bahamas. It was about low wages and working conditions for children in countries that supply products for some of our American multinationals. Instead of having the Bonos and the Oprahs speak they had the children that work in these factories. One of the children shared his story. In his speech he pointed to a scar on his face and shared that he got it when an armed guard hit him in the face for not working hard enough. The guard then torn between needing the child to work and not wanting the blood from the new cut on his face to get on the fabric pulled out a lighter and burned the cut shut. The child told that he got this scar from “making your stuff.”

Now again let me say that I’m not a political guy. So I don’t really know that by casting a republican vote if I empower mega corporations to continue this activity or if that is just a ploy that the left sells me. But regardless I think this should stop us in our tracks. I don’t mean to upset anybody, but let me personalize this and list some names of people who these children might be close to. Imagine if these people have their faces cut open and then burned shut to produce products so we could buy them cheap.

Roy
Calla
Jack
Sam et all.
Kerstin
Shane/Hannah
Jude Sutton
Soren
Etc.

I’m not trying to be graphic, but I am saying this. Casting a vote for a republican sometimes makes us feel justified as we think about all the babies that we are trying to save. And don’t get me wrong, I think this is noble and though my political leanings change, this issue has never been made easy for me. People, not just babies die when we abort. But it seems less and less clear to me that any one political party really wants to save all the children.

Shane reminds me that they are all God’s children and if I’m going to participate in God’s kingdom they are all my children too. The Iraqi children, the Afghani children, the Darfur children, the democratic children, the republican children, Caesar’s children and the bin Laden children.

So vote and vote with conviction, but can we be bold enough to admit that our political parties aren’t the end all and that they are probably killing some children somewhere.

Grace for now, and find time to vote for the kingdom with your life.

* I try and be intentional about asking when I feel like I've run into someone who is passionate about their politics. Assuming that this much passion results in a good deal of research I'm continually disappointed by few who actually know much about their candidates.

8 comments:

Erik said...

Prophetic Josh. Thank you. May we have the courage to challenge, in whatever way we can, the consumer-culture in which we live. May God grant us the courage to stand with these children in some way. Amen.

greenISgood said...

Your post highlights the clear difference between "hot-button" issues such as abortion, which tends to cause major knee-jerk political reaction on both sides, in contrast with the more significant consideration of the practical implications of meaningful participation in God's kingdom objectives which is often overlooked or ignored by such reaction.

Whether one is Repub. or Dem (informed or not), the critical factor is how clearly one might see the often desperate life-or- death needs of all children without a voice in the world, and move within their means to meet that need because of their conviction that Jesus stands alongside them regardless of party affiliation.

greenISgood said...

I meant to include this. An interview with Shane reprinted from the Justice and Compassion blog:

http://www.theooze.com/articles/article.cfm?id=1748

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

thanks for the link and your always thoughtful comments

David said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Josh. I have been struggling a lot with this issue lately, as I mentioned on my blog. It is hard, particularly within much of the political/religious movements, to define the unique nature of the Kingdom of God in the midst of so many entities vying for political authority on the basis of religious belief and affirmation. Keep up the struggle.

Anonymous said...

Josh,
I think that Republicans and Democrats are both self-serving, much like the rest of America. One party doesn't have it all right. But I don't think it's the government's job to fix all of these things either. All government is too confined to fix all of the problems in the world and would fail to operate if it attempted to do so. That's the whole beauty of democracy. Vote for the person who best lines up with your personal passions, and when they fail to defend them, pick up the ball yourself. Problems in the world like abortion and child labor are never a government problem, but a people problem. Governments can't fix these things, only people can.

So what are you going to do to fix that problem? Are you going to stop shopping at WAL-MART? Are you going to stop buying clothes made in sweat shops under unfair labor conditions? The sad truth is, I still will shop at WAL-MART and I still will buy things from people who had to slave away to make things. As much as I say I'm an American who fights for social justice, I still love my American life. There are very few of us who will walk the walk to the point that it causes discomfort.

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

I think you are right, but Shane does and that is why his book is so prophetically convicting and relevant for the church today.

I used to let this kind of talk go in one ear and out the other. That was because I fixed on verses like Romans 10:9. Why should i care, I know Jesus and in the end he'll right all the wrongs in the world.

But the older I get I read Jesus own words in Matthew 25 and see that Jesus isn't so concerned about way I understand him or how many times I make it to church a year, but if I've fed the poor, clothed the naked and visited those in prison. I don't see any way of spiritualizing this text.

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

P.S. I don't buy clothes from WAL-MART. I buy them from Patagonia who last time I checked didn't use child labor.