Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: Does God exist???

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Does God exist???

I’ve always been wary of scientific arguments for the existence of God, or any arguments for the existence of God for that matter. In fact I think they do more for those who believe than they do for those who don’t believe. Seldom do I hear a conversion story that includes a moment when someone just knew God existed because Bill Craig’s version of the cosmological argument became overwhelmingly convincing. In fact I think that the most compelling argument contains no scientific data at all, the anthropological argument. I suppose it’s more of an existential appeal and probably the reason I like it a little better. I think that makes sense though. Faith is more existential than it is scientific.

Yet, tonight as I was watching the National Geographic Channel I’m reminded of the power of the anthropic argument. On Naked Science, they are examining the possibility of finding life elsewhere in the galaxy/universe…whatever the correct technical nerd term is. One point they made, traveling at the speed of light, it would take a message from the other side of our galaxy, 100 million years to get here. Imagine that. Light travels around the world 7 times a second. At that speed it would take that long just to get across the universe. Makes even the travel speed of the Millennium Falcon seem inadequate.

Anyhow, back to the power of the anthropic argument. Caveat here, I’m not going to check these numbers, but rather guess what they are based on memory. The factual numbers almost serve as hyperbole in and among themselves. Ergo, corroborating their accuracy is not necessary. When you add together all the factors that go into creating not only a perfect planet, but also galaxy etc. to sustain life you come up with some obnoxious number like 1 x 10 to the 120 power. To put that in perspective there are 1 x 10 to the 70ish power electrons in our universe. Keep in mind how exponents work. That isn’t like double the number. Every time you move up an increment in an exponent you account for everything previously and then double it (I think)…any calc. nerds out there to verify that one? That’s freakin’ incredible.

It’s funny though. As crazy and wow-factor as that is, we are the type of beings who are conversely more puzzled by the deep wounds of death and the absurdity of things like the tsunami. I guess that goes back to the existential thing. No one really gives a rat’s ass how complex the universe is when a loved one is sick or their social structure is rattled by an external factor. Maybe that’s why God did the cross thing and not the spell it out in the clouds thing.

9 comments:

greenISgood said...

Carney:
Now explain it to me as if I were a 6 year old:

Do you believe in God or Not?

greenISgood said...

Furthermore, the probability density function of an exponential distribution has the form
f (x;λ)= λe - λx , x > 0
0 , x < 0

where λ > 0 is a parameter of the distribution, often called the rate parameter. The distribution is supported on the interval [0,∞). If a random variable X has this distribution, we write X ~ Exponential(λ).

Don't worry, I'm just pulling this outta my wikipedia......

Craig said...

lol @ robert!

this was wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Josh,
I can hear the personal touch a whole lot louder then a yell of reason, no matter how close you are to my ear!!
(man josh, you make me so abstract!!!)

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

Robert,

Of course I believe in God, I'm a republican.

Money Minding Mama said...

Well Josh, I really like your last couple of sentences. It really brings it home for me and reminds me why I didn't take Physics in high school.

Money Minding Mama said...

Josh, I figured out how to do a new post and I put a picture of Honks on it for you.

Singleton said...

you are all very funny and full of truth at the same time. i like you.

Ben Dahlvang said...

"The only proof for the existence of the Christian God is that unless His existence is presupposed there can be no room for the concept of proof itself."
Van Til

Hi Carn!