Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: one year old and counting

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

one year old and counting

My son is a year old. Not a one “years” old as my wife repeatedly reminds me. I want to write something significant about how my life has changed over the course of the last year. I’ll come at from a peculiar angle. I was reading a blog this evening and a certain theologian, whose name I’ll leave anonomous, because his groupies tend to track every time his name is written in digital form and write an absolutely uncreative dissertation type theological canned response to anyone who disagrees with him…and I don’t want that. Anyhow, a particular someone picked on this particular theologian and one of his groupies did the anticipated responding.

It reminded me of a past life I had. The one where my ambition to do Ph.D. work was bore out of. One that was both invigorating and yet often full of dissolution. One that is full of incredibly intelligent people who do a lot of work that effects the few who are exactly like them.

I had a coversation with Gideon at the Crowder/Claiborne concert. We talked a lot about what we read etc. and I noted his comment that he distances himself from the academic and emergent worlds not because of any particular dislike, but rather because neither seem to do much to really help people.

I do think correct theological tenets are important, but to be honest I think often the pursuit and sparring that goes on to get to these tenets leave people hurt and confused and does little to help starving children in Africa or broken marriages in America.

I think my son has helped bring this change about in me. That is one way in which my world is a lot different this year. I spend less time thinking about penal substitution and subjective atonement theories and less time about exhaustive definite futures and human freedom and more about how crazy it is that God loves humans more than and more perfectly than I love my son.

Thanks Roy

2 comments:

Carlson said...

Josh,
Good to hear you're still grounded.

Anonymous said...

I agree Josh. The living out of our faith is essential. So much more important than correct doctrine, etc. If all we do is talk, I think we grieve God greatly.

And I know what you mean about being changed by a child. Our daughter is 10 months and I am certainly a different person because of it - a whole new perspective for sure.