Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: a year of living biblically

Sunday, February 10, 2008

a year of living biblically


I finished A.J. Jacobs book…the year of living biblically. I know that I’ve communicated that I’d finished it already to some of you and I pretty much, but I finally completed all of the reading. This was one of those, the last chapter was the best one, type books. A.J.’s approach is like that of the enlightenment. I think he’d even admit that. But I think he’s really open to being impacted by God and that is communicated through the pages. I facebook messaged him. I don’t know why I do this, but this is the second author who I’ve tried to contact after finishing their work this month. I told A.J. this. At one point in my life I would have hoped that his journey concluded with his finding Jesus. Instead he found something that was sacred and authentic for A.J. at this point in his life. There is a hint of fundamentalism in me. I still hope he does find Jesus, but can I confess that I was moved by his experience. I hope if A.J. doesn’t get around to knowing Jesus that he gets a Cornelius clause or an Emeth the Tarkan clause in his contract or something. I suppose this is a round about way of saying you should pick up the book sometime.

2 comments:

Erik said...

I find your comments about finding Jesus interesting. We actually talked a little about this at youth group on Monday night, as a student of mine questioned the legitimacy of people whose lives seem to look like the way of Jesus, but do so from another starting point. I articulated the idea that if we believe Christ is truth, and his way of life is right, then even when a person is Hindu or Buddhist, but seems to be more compassionate than we often are, we can commend this way as the way of Jesus. This is very different than saying that person knows Jesus (I actually used your two legs idea), and I insisted that our understanding of truth is not rooted in their life, but in God revealed in Christ.

It seems to me you're saying something similar here. Jacobs found something, and you, because of your understanding of truth revealed in Christ, want to see AJ realize what this something is. However, that hopeful prayer (can I call it that) doesn't have to mean we cannot be in awe of what he did. We can still admire the authenticity and even transcendent aspects of Jacobs's journey, while hoping and praying for a connection with Jesus. If AJ hasn't yet found Jesus, I would venture to say, Jesus is finding him.

Anonymous said...

Good perspective. I would say that righteousness is found in Jesus, and when people approach righteousness in their own human way, it starts to look like Jesus. But without accepting that final addition you just end up orbiting, but hopefully you will spiral in, and say yes eventually.