Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: sacraments and justification

Sunday, December 09, 2007

sacraments and justification

For some time now I’ve been struggling with the protestant view of justification. For the longest time it was just one of the words that I rattled off when participating in the Biblical language game. I didn’t really know what it meant. It was one of those words that when said next to a string of other overtly Pauline words quickly rendered the verse meaningless because too many of the words have meaning that needs to be unpacked. Let me give you an example of a fictional verse I’ll make up. “you have been justified through the propitiating atonement of the holiness of God’s righteousness imputed to you through the sanctifying holiness of the Zion one.” Huh? Me too.

Slowly though this word came alive. It came alive when I really started to investigate how or why I am saved. I’m justified in the eyes of God because of Jesus. A couple of months back Christianity Today let the cat out of the bag and let the rest of the Evangelical world know that there is a debate out on some of these key Pauline words…justification chief among them. They actually drew cartoon looking caricatures of three figures on each side of two pages as to pit them and their respective perspective on Paul and Pauline language. On the left side were the reformation figures Luther, Calvin and Beza (I think) and the other were those who represent the new perspective on Paul…namely E.P. Sanders, N.T. Wright and James D.G. Dunn (apparently initials are important in the new perspective). A perspective that I have found a breath of fresh air. The person from this school that I have taken particular interest in is Richard Hays of Duke whose work on the subjective/objective genitive construction pistis christou has been thought provoking.

Recently I stumbled onto the happenings of Baylor professor Francis Beckwith who converted back to his childhood faith of Catholicism. Part of the big deal about Beckwith is that he was the president of ETS, which is a group of Evangelical Theologians who wish they lived in a society where they could still burn people at the stake for believing the wrong things. In his blog post about why he went Catholic Beckwith writes:

The past four months have moved quickly for me and my wife. As you probably know, my work in philosophy, ethics, and theology has always been Catholic friendly, but I would have never predicted that I would return to the Church, for there seemed to me too many theological and ecclesiastical issues that appeared insurmountable. However, in January, at the suggestion of a dear friend, I began reading the Early Church Fathers as well as some of the more sophisticated works on justification by Catholic authors. I became convinced that the Early Church is more Catholic than Protestant and that the Catholic view of justification, correctly understood, is biblically and historically defensible. Even though I also believe that the Reformed view is biblically and historically defensible, I think the Catholic view has more explanatory power to account for both all the biblical texts on justification as well as the church’s historical understanding of salvation prior to the Reformation all the way back to the ancient church of the first few centuries.

At the end of this blog comments section, which is lengthy and full of angry protestants, Beckwith offers a pair of links both of which he says were compelling in his decision making process. One is from the Catechism and deals with grace and justification. I decided to take a peek given my recent convictions. I found it compelling. I agree with much of what is says, but have one notable hang up.

It states, “2014 Spiritual progress tends toward ever more intimate union with Christ. This union is called "mystical" because it participates in the mystery of Christ through the sacraments - "the holy mysteries" - and, in him, in the mystery of the Holy Trinity. God calls us all to this intimate union with him, even if the special graces or extraordinary signs of this mystical life are granted only to some for the sake of manifesting the gratuitous gift given to all.”

My hang up is with what I know they think the sacraments necessarily are. N.T. Wright restored my appreciation for sacraments, but I have a hard time believing that the God of the New Testament traps himself to dispensing grace through a church that is full of free willed men who screw it up all the time. I guess this is why the Donatist controversy has resurfaced as a significant for me. I believe in sacraments. But I believe that new and creative sacraments are found in our lives daily. The creative God of the New Testament finds all kinds of ways to make the “veil between heaven and earth seem especially thin” to borrow from Wright.

Here is where I depart from the Catechism. Like them I believe that spiritual progress tends toward intimate union with Christ and that this has big implications for soteriology. It’s just that I don’t believe this happens inside archaic buildings with people who are un-thoughtful about what they are really doing. It happens when a parent spends time with a child. It happens when an alcoholic says no to another drink. It happens when a band raises money for aids victims. It happens when someone lends a lawnmower to a neighbor. These are the means…the modes of salvation through we participate and progress towards intimate union with Christ.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post I think I will need to process it for a while though.

Erik said...

Thanks for the heavy lifting Josh. Very thoughtful and well-conceived. I admire your willingness to rigorously rethink certain key elements of our faith.

You may want to check out Ellen Charry on the sacramental principle. She is an Episcopalian, so she is quite sacramental, but she talks a lot about what she calls the sacramental principle. It helped me when I was rethinking what it meant to be a low-church theologian, somehow committed tradition. How could I conceive meaningfully of our rituals, that God is actually doing something, and yet not have to move so completely towards a sacramental view of them? Even more, how could I expand sacramental language to include the more everyday reality in which we live? For me (and I'm not sure Charry wants her idea to be used this way, but that's why its constructive theology, right?) the sacramental principle was exceptionally helpful.

The idea is that God is at work in the world, and we participate in God's work. Where this occurs, the sacramental principle is at work. God's spirit is sacralizing these moments, making them moments of grace for those involved. Of course, Charry wants to keep the sacraments *more* sacred, it seems to me, but it was helpful nonetheless. I am interested in this for youth ministry because I think it helps students begin to see their lives participating in something bigger than themselves, and God is involved in pulling them into his sacramental story. Even more, I believe such a concept is crucial for a truly missional understanding of the church, because these moments are not only sacramental for those involved, but point to the moment of pure sacramentality: Christ's self-offering on Calvary (I might be using words wrongly here, but I wanted to do it, given how you started the post...funny, I know).

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

Charry sounds helpful. What would she mean by keeping the sacraments more sacred. Does the "the" here operate as a definite article. meaning does she means the particular ones the church celebrate?

Emily Hunter McGowin said...

Josh,

This is a very thoughtful post. Thanks for raising the issue (again). In my spare time (ha!), I have benefited from the Orthodox view of justification too, with their view of becoming united with God's nature.

One quibble, though. Your description of ETS was a tad harsh. As someone who used to go to ETS meetings and still loves some people who go to ETS meetings, I'm not sure this is totally accurate. :)

Take care, Josh,

Emily

Craig said...

Josh,
Reading this post made me think of something. I still have your lawnmower.

Craig.

Erik said...

Yeah, she would mean the traditional sacraments. The more sacred is my interpretation of what she's saying, to be fair.

Max Goss said...

I missed the part in the Catechism where it denies that works of mercy are "modes of salvation through [which] we participate and progress towards intimate union with Christ."

Can't God sanctify through the sacraments AND through other means?

Erik said...

Max,

I think that's the point of Charry's sacramental principle. She is wanting to reserve something more sacred for the sacraments, but also wanting to sacralize other moments of grace. This is a very helpful concept if you have a low sacramentology.

Max Goss said...

But the post claims to depart from the Catechism. Where's the departure?

I guess one possibility is his belief that Catholics believe the sacraments to be "more sacred" than other avenues for encountering Christ and accessing sanctifying grace. I may me mistaken, but I think it is more accurate to say that the sacraments are a more predictable way of encountering Christ and accessing sanctifying grace.

I just think it's funny when someone says, "what's wrong with Catholicism is that it denies such-and-such," when in fact such-and-such is a Church teaching.

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

max,

thanks for your thoughts and clarification. perhaps the bottom line is that I stand corrected.

if

"I may me mistaken, but I think it is more accurate to say that the sacraments are a more predictable way of encountering Christ and accessing sanctifying grace."

is a true statement and one the Vatican could get behind than perhaps catholic theology and I are closer friends than I previously understood.

My presupposition, and perhaps this is why I may be wrong, was that many of the early church fathers claimed that the sacraments offered by the church...and within the church (equally important) had exclusive soteriological implications.

I guess the other thing I might add is if what you suggest is true, than what is the problem with Protestantism (at least in this regard).

carney

Max Goss said...

I think I overstated my claim, or at least stated it ambiguously. I think two points are important:

1. For the Catholic, all of life has a lower-case-s-sacramental character inasmuch as every action, event, encounter, etc. is (potentially) a vehicle for Christ's presence and sanctifying grace. Your post seems to say that Catholics deny this.

2. For the Catholic, certain types of grace are (normally) only available through the capital-S-sacraments; thus while one may well meet Christ when he feeds a homeless person, this action will not e.g. wash away original sin or initiate an indissoluble covenant (as Catholics believe baptism and marriage do, respectively). Your remarks in comments seem to suggest that you deny that any graces available in any Sacraments are always or generally unavailable in other actions, events, etc. Is this right?