Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: Christmas Anyone Part 2

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Christmas Anyone Part 2

Did my Christmas shopping today. I hate malls and busy stores. I survived though. As promised more top ten lists. This particular list is a bit ambiguous as I discovered researching movies. The official category is Christmas TV specials. I realize that some of these listed might be categorized as a movie, but they just feel a little different to me. Most if not all are either animated, claymation, or old-school-mated.


10. Shrek the Halls- Funny story…haven’t actually seen this. It deleted off of the Tivo before I could watch. Bah Humbug. I have to wait until next year. I’m sure though that anything with Shrek will be great!

9. Jack Frost- love the creative interplay in the relationship of Jack Frost and the Groundhog. The Villain in this movie is fantastic and the humor is there if you have a palate for it.

8. A Year Without Santa clause- Mostly I just love the Heat Miser and the Snow Miser. I think this inspired a recent real life version that is mildly good.

7. Santa Clause is Coming to Town- Great at answering the meta Santa Clause questions and you’ve got to love a movie that has a character named the Burgermeister Meisterburger.

6. A Muppet’s Christmas Carol - I think I listed this in the movie post, but I’m convinced it better belongs in this category. I haven’t seen it in some time, but Lindsay loves it, so I do too.

5. Frosty is coming to town/Frosty Returns/Frosty’s Winter Wonderland/The Legend of Frosty- Really just the first two, the second of which has John Goodman as the voice of Frosty and has environmentally concerned themes. Saw WWL for the first time this year, kind of lame Frosty gets married. The other (LOF) I haven’t actually seen. It was made in 2005 and Burt Reynolds narrates. Should be worth at least one watch.

4. Charlie Brown Christmas- Didn’t love this one as much until recently. This successfully uses national television to shovel the gospel of Luke down youngsters’ throats. It’s pretty amazing. It also has a Christmas special type half hour deal after the traditional Christmas Charlie Brown. Never saw this one, but really enjoyed it. In several different scenes, Linus makes astoundingly detailed comments about Biblical information. In one scene he even refers to himself as a “theologian.” Figures Charles Schultz is from MN…North…where all good Christian culture lives.

3. Mickey’s Christmas Carol/Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmas/Mickey’s Twice Upon Christmas- I’ve done some research and discovered that the reason I haven’t seen this one in a few years is because for the last four PBS has had the rights to it. Anyhow it is the best rendtion of Chaz Dickens stuff. As for the other two. They are o.k. Pretty solid animation.


2. The Grinch Who Stole Christmas- If I had to see two shows every year growing up it was this one and the winner of the #1 slot. I think the only thing that keeps it from being number is that #1 seems to be a bit more historical.

1. Rudolf the Rednose Reindeer/Rudolf’s Shiny New Year- A dentist elf, a gold digger named Yukon, a lion who represents the misfits, a Humble Bumble who is redeemed and a Reindeer who saves the day!!! It doesn’t get better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the #1, it's not even close for me. I hope you froze some southern fried toes with your comments on Schultz, but not like you froze yours that one time, wouldn't wish that on anyone.