Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: On hell...unfortunately

Thursday, July 19, 2007

On hell...unfortunately

We think about hell from time to time. I’m not sure that it is the one theological doctrine that we should be tied up in thinking about, but as someone shared on a special this last Friday on 20/20 about the topic hell, Dante’s Inferno has been read much more than Dante’s Paradise.

Flames and turmoil are what most of us were led to believe growing up. Anything that strays from this conception is usually condemned with a comment that goes something like, “you don’t believe in a literal hell?” usually fired by someone who is somewhere along the lines of conservative to moderate evangelical.

I wonder what is meant by literal? I suppose it has something to do with the middle of the earth and heat and flames. I get that. I really do. When I think about Adolf Hitler, I really think this is the place a guy like that should exist for a long time if not eternity. I don’t care what the depths of grace look like? I want that guy to spend some time thinking about what he did.

Here’s where I’m going with this. It’s not that I’m interested in deconstructing the traditional notion of hell. In fact, I think my official position is that it is a mystery described by metaphor in the New Testament and almost a non-existent idea in the Old. However, I’ll never forget what a professor said in class about the juxtaposition of emotional vs. physical pain in reference to hell. He said, “I’d rather cut hand off with a butter knife for the rest of my life than watch one of my children die.”

Tonight as we gave Roy a bath, I thought about this one boy, Matthew Carlson who died of cancer in the sixth grade. I was in eighth grade when he died and I don’t remember much about him, only the somber state of my dad when he returned form visiting him and his family the last couple months of his life.

Hell…I think it is often used a threat in evangelism. This is the place you’ll go if you don’t buy into the program of our Western Jesus. And then I think about the Muslim mother who has lost all her children to the ravage state of reality we call war. I wonder if the hell we postulate poses much of a threat to her anymore.

There is this one scene in the movie Troy, where Hector’s dad comes to plea for the body of his recently killed son at the hands of his son’s killer who happens to be Achilles. Achilles is quick to point out the state of affairs for the king…he, the king of Troy, could be easily be killed given the circumstances. But in the reality of the agony of the situation the king points out that the threat of death has no sway over him.

I think it must seem strange to some who a presented with the gospel. “If you don’t accept Jesus you’ll go to hell.” I wonder how different that would be from how they are living now?

Grace for all of us, for now.

5 comments:

Craig said...

"And then I think about the Muslim mother who has lost all her children to the ravage state of reality we call war. I wonder if the hell we postulate poses much of a threat to her anymore."

Wow, what an amazingly poignant statement.

Emily Hunter McGowin said...

Wonderful thoughts, Josh.

Ever since our discussions in Reconciliation, I continue to wrestle with this one. I've found that for many outside the Kingdom, the traditional doctrine of hell serves as an impediment to receiving the good news. This is unfortunate. What once was used to convince (coerce?) people of the good news is now driving them away. And, many evangelicals still cling to the "fire and brimstone" perspective as though its a test of their salvation (as if one can determine one's state in the Kingdom based upon doctrinal beliefs).

Thanks for a good post.

-Emily

Erik said...

An interesting topic chosen, Josh. I am continually inspired by your ability to wrestle with questions and thoughts in a way that is lively and honest. You are such a teacher for me in that way.

I think the whole theological topic of hell needs to be readdressed starting from a (surprise coming...) Christological perspective. Too often we leap forward (or begin) at the existential level, whether we are trying to scare someone into believing or trying to deconstruct the traditionally evangelical perspective. In either case, what matters first in our discussions seems to be how hell affects us. We too often neglect to think about the way in which Christ descended into hell for us, and how that event in the life of God determines everything else we say about hell. It did for the apostle Paul (where o death is thy victory, thy sting?), and it sure as hell (pun intended) ought to for us, don't you think? This is why I like the way you finally assert hell's mysteriousness, which I think is wrapped wholly in the mysteriousness of grace. The only reason we can conceptualize hell, it seems to me, is because we can conceptualize grace in the person and work of Jesus Christ. If grace does not control even our discussions of hell, how can we, with Paul, proclaim truly that his grace is sufficient?

greenISgood said...

I'm relieved you're finally coming around....

:)

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

coming around to where?