Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: different cowboy hats

Monday, September 04, 2006

different cowboy hats

Last night Lindsay and I joined my brother and sister-in-law for some Labor Day fireworks and carnival type fun. It was put on by their church, which is nothing less than what I characterize as a mega-church. I’ve gotten cynical of such institutions, probably because of my post-secondary educational experience. So I went with a bit of skepticism.

When I got there my expectations were disappointed by friendly people, great organization, and a good time. While I was sitting watching the fire works, ignoring the conflation of God and country, I thought to myself, “is this a good mission for a church?” It is a highly suburbanized population that brings in other suburbanized people. I’m not sure that this is anything to be cynical about. After all, the gospel makes no qualification about which people bring the gospel to which people. Bottom line the church is creating a place for families to be, and in the process getting other families involved.

Here’s part of the reason I’ve lost my cynicism of such institutions. My good friend and co-worker Lanny tells me that we all go to cowboy churches, it’s just that we wear different hats. This comment came at the end of a lengthy discussion we had about how dumb we thought it was that they would have a church just for cowboys. I’m mean what’s next, a church for stockbrokers, one for shoe salesmen etc. The conclusion we came to is characterized by Lanny’s statement.

I go to a cowboy church. At my church the cowboys are mostly 18-35 and somewhat cynical about the institutional church. At Antioch, the cowboys raise their hands and have a unique zeal, at Dayspring the cowboys like it sacred and simple, and at 1st Baptist the cowboys like it traditional with ties. At my brother’s church, the cowboys love their families, are deeply convicted about the things they do believe, are trying hard to figure out what it means to follow Jesus, and put a lot of energy into serving their community.

I’m going to try and be less cynical.



On a different note, I’m saddened by the loss of Steve Irwin. I’ve been thinking about why I might care about his death a little more than other celebrity’s. I think Steve embodied a passion that was contagious. I never saw a moment of him on the camera where he wasn’t genuine about his love for his family, animals, or conservation. He was very likable and he will be missed. Thanks for the memories Steve.

5 comments:

Jason Powers said...

I'm a friend of 1ton's, and I just want to say thank you for your post. I'm on staff at one of those churches like your brother attends. I wouldn't call us a mega-church quite yet, but we're definitely tracking that direction. There are times where I really struggle with that. I'm nearly 30, and so the youngest on staff (not counting the youth guy) and definitely the "emerging church" voice on staff. They poke fun about it, most of it good natured, but there are times where I definitely feel like the sore thumb in the crowd. This is a good perspective, because the people I work with, my "bosses" (organizationally speaking) are great, God-fearing men who love Jesus and follow Him well. I think generally speaking we wear different hats. Thanks for the reminder that we're all a part of the same Church though. Great thoughts.

Craig said...

This was so great, all around.

You beat me to the post on Steve Irwin. I'm feeling the same way you do. The dude definitely lived the last paragraphs of Kyle's last sermon.

See you tomorrow, I'll be wearing my hat.

Janalee said...

Bravo! I've been feeling rather convicted about my own cynicism lately. Have you read "Exclusion and Embrace"? Something about it seems to help.

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

thanks the three of you for 1. reading 2. encouraging. I find it even feels good to write something edifying vs. complaining.

Janalee. The title even sounds interesting. As you every well know I will perhaps dive into when I have reading time. Perhaps Christmas break.

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

oops,

couple of spelling/grammatical errors, nothing new for me though