Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: confessions of a seminary student

Thursday, August 31, 2006

confessions of a seminary student

I know that at some point a reformed counterpart will read this e-mail and comment something like, “see you just confessed what we accuse you of. We are completely Biblical in our conclusion.” In the past I’ve asked such people not to comment, but I give up.

Having said that I’m going to tell you how all seminary students (including my Calvinist, dispensational, and fundamental counterparts), come to have a systematic theology. It goes something like this…

Today in my Paul class we talked about Ernst Kasemann’s article on the “righteousness of God” in Romans. Now this particular article and another topic “pistou christou” have been of much interest to me as of late. They both deal with the subjective vs. objective understandings of genitive Greek constructions. This is the first material to really interest me for quite some time in seminary. It’s not that the debate is new only my discovering it.

This is usually what happens in order for me to get excited about any idea in seminary. I have an existing idea of how something should work. Eventually I find that I’m not the first to think such a thing and then the journey begins. For the next couple of weeks you find all of the historical characters in the history of theology that have said the same thing and then eventually you come to the conclusion that you can hold the theological tenet and not be a heretic, or at least if you are going to be accused of heresy you can be such in good company. After this process is completed the idea is chewed and applied to other theological doctrines and then the position is solidified.

In short all thinkers and theologians have presuppositions and most theological journeys are simply about finding data to corroborate those initial presuppositions that one is comfortable with.

My point is this. I wonder how many of us really come to seminary to learn? How many of us really come with a blank slate in search of truth? I don’t think it is as many as we might like to think.

5 comments:

Singleton said...

What is learning but the revelation of truth that we already know deep inside of ourselves to be true? Do we know all things and know all truth deep within our guts and our just suprised to find out that we're not the only ones? Or are the above to lines a load of English Literature bullshit? Perhaps we'll never know.

Honest post. Strong Carn-dawg, strong.

greenISgood said...

What the bleeping bleep are you bleeping all bleeping talking about?

"What is truth?" - Pilate

myleswerntz said...

good having you in class today. stay strong, and swallow deep.

i have to differ here, singleton. revelation has to come from somewhere other than inside of myself, lest i be left a sad and lonely person, forever looking into my own soul for meaning.

Singleton said...

Well, that's why most English majors are sad, loney people I guess.

Yah I was just talking smack, I have no idea where revelation comes from. I thought it was in the Bible... or that Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins wrote it... I just know I don't know where it comes from, myself or otherwise.

All I know about the revelation of truth is that it seems to most often happen when I am on the toilet.

jared slack said...

here's a confession from a seminary student...

you're a bad ass in your ranger unifrom.

tell me you get to carry pepper spray...