Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker (Mrs.) Carn-Dog's comments: Reflections on Fathers Day

Monday, June 18, 2007

Reflections on Fathers Day

The Bible carefully offers us metaphors from time to time. Two of them are relational. They are Christ’s relationship to the church described in terms of Bride/Bridegroom and God’s relationship to Jesus as Father/Son.

I really hated Song of Solomon when I was growing up. Especially when girls in our youth group talked about being enamored by belonging to the groom. “Gag me” I thought to myself. Not only do I hate romance, but now the Bible is asking me to participate in this metaphorical relationship from the sappy/estrogen side.

Eventually I got married and this metaphor came alive for me. I was able to move beyond the literal level of the metaphor and move into an understanding of a wee bit deeper existential profoundness.

As for the other metaphor, well I guess I’m qualified to throw my noetic lot in the realm of comprehension on the Father/Son metaphor. As I was trying to fall asleep last night I was pondering this one. As my first fathers day came to a close I realized just how different God and I are. He sent His son to bear the sins of the world. I silently confessed to myself that I'd send the whole world to hell before I’d let my son be crucified unjustly.

Grace for now


Roy's present for me.


Roy and I in matching C.S. Lewis outfits. Nerdy professor cardigan, khakis, and a t-shirt. Notice our favorite Lewis works.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this one, brother.

Jim

Emily Hunter McGowin said...

From a female perspective:

You might be interested to know that the bride/bridegroom metaphor for God and his people creeped me out big time as a new Christian. Since I was a teenager, the thought of God being my husband/lover/etc just seemed like something perverse. Of course, I had a thoroughly un-transformed mind and I was seriously ignorant of the biblical revelation and knew little of Jesus himself. It didn't help that my relationship with my dad was pretty bad, too.

As I learned more and grew more in my personal discipleship, however, I adjusted to the metaphor. Now that I'm married to a truly wonderful husband, the idea of God as my bridegroom is a warm, comforting, and even natural image. I guess I have Ronnie to thank for that.

BTW: I love the matching CS Lewis garb. What a pair!

Grace and peace,

Emily

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

Emily,

I have always appreciated your thoughtful perspective.

thanks

Erik said...

Carney,

Good stuff about Father's Day. I love the outfits. Soren gave me the best present I could ask for. For about an hour or so, he just sat with me and smiled and "talked" the whole time. It was glorious. Then we went to BW-3 for wings. Marvelous.

BTW, how's the MN stuff coming?

Anonymous said...

Josh,
I like the outfits.
N-Bomb